Chocolate and peppermint is all we’re craving during the holidays. During this season, we love baking up a quick batch of Chocolate-y Peppermint Bark Frosted Brownies and Chewy Chocolate Peppermint Bark Thumbprint Cookies, but when it comes to hosting big holiday festivities, we love making this epic Peppermint Chocolate Layer Cake with Chocolate Ganache.
This three-layer deep chocolate cake is stacked with Organic Peppermint Frosting, peppermint meringues, and chocolate ganache. This mouthwater dessert will definitely turn heads at your next holiday party. This recipe uses our Organic Chocolate Cake Mix and Organic Peppermint Frosting so mixing batter is simple and there’s no need to make a batch of frosting from scratch. While it still takes a little extra effort to put together this cake, it’s also satisfying and fun, not to mention delicious!
This recipe gives instructions for homemade peppermint meringues, but store-bought meringues will work just as well. No matter how to decorate, this Peppermint Chocolate Cake is the perfect way to ring in holiday cheer!
- 2 boxes Miss Jones Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup oil
- 2 jars Miss Jones Organic Peppermint Frosting
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Optional: red natural food coloring
For the cake
For the frosting
For the ganache
For the meringues (optional)
- Make cake batter according to package directions and divide evenly between three greased 8-inch cake pans. Bake according to package directions. Let cool completely before frosting. Meanwhile, mix 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract into each jar of frosting.
- Assemble cake by placing one cake layer on a plate. Cover with a layer of peppermint frosting, and repeat the process twice more. Frost the outside of cake with a thin layer of frosting, allowing the chocolate cake to still be slightly exposed.
- Mix together chocolate chips and cream in a heatproof bowl. Melt mixture in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water, stirring until ganache is smooth and creamy. Gently pour over top of cake. Serve as is or take it one step further with the meringues!
- To make the meringues, preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Mix together egg whites and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and place over a pot of simmering water, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Place bowl on a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add in cream of tartar, and mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks have formed; stir in the peppermint extract.
- Fit a piping bag with a large round tip and use the food coloring and a thin brush or back of a spoon to draw three red stripes down the length of the bag. Add the meringue to the bag and pipe swirls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 60 to 90 minutes, or until meringues feel rm and crunchy to the touch. Let cool completely before using.