Stone Fruit Shortcake
Summer is finally here… and we can’t get enough sunshine, pool time OR stone fruit. And since we’ve been snacking on nectarines, pluots and peaches non-stop, it made sense to create a dessert worthy of these extra-special summertime fruits. We kept things simple with Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix and Frosting, so this sweet summer treat can be baked up in a snap. AND this recipe’s perfect for vegans (so if you’re baking for a cookout, it’s perfect for the whole crew!)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, melted butter, and milk in a large bowl. Add in Organic Vanilla Cake Mix and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured pan(s) and bake as directed on box. (We used a 12×24” sheet pan, then cut our shortcake layers out with a clean glass). Let cake fully cool before assembling shortcakes.
- Slice stone fruit and sprinkle with sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice, then refrigerate for 10 minutes to bring the juices out of the fruit.
- Alternate layers of cooled cake, sliced fruit and frosting until you’re ready to dig in. Yum!
- This is an excellent recipe to use in case you can’t quite get your cake out of the pan
- Layering frosting and fruit together really does the trick. Plant-based bakers can easily substitute flax eggs, water and oil to make this vegan-friendly!
- We made mini shortcakes, but this recipe can be baked into nearly any shape … get creative!