A little zest goes a loooong way when you’re baking, and this recipe for buttery, fluffy, mini melt-in-your mouth marmalade madeleines. These French tea cakes are the perfect way to get your citrus fix in a flash.
Using just one orange and some of our favorite marmalade, we’ve taken these treats from 0 to 100, real quick.
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
- Zest of one medium orange
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade (heated)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Using all-natural cooking spray, lightly spray or butter and flour, grease madeleine pan and set aside. We made full-size and mini madeleines with the same recipe.
- Separate egg whites from yolks, and using an electric mixer beat the egg whites until stiff and cloud-like.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, egg yolks and milk. Once dry ingredients are thoroughly combined, stir in orange zest and gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill madeleine pan segments 1/2 full, making sure to evenly spread batter across each mold to ensure even baking.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until the edges are evenly golden brown and the cakes are springy in the center. For mini madeleines, bake 8-9 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes, then remove the madeleines and arrange them shell side up on a baking rack.
- Heat up orange marmalade and use a pastry brush or a small spoon to evenly coat the top of each madeleine.
- The butterier the better when it comes to greasing your madeleine pan, but be careful if you use cooking spray not to overdo it.
- These guys can be tricky to get out perfectly every time, but it’s easy to cover your tracks with a generous swipe of your favorite jam. Don’t stress!