Cake Mix Dinner Rolls
Since there are a million holiday parties on the horizon, we decided it was time to bake up something savory to share with the crew.With some quick-rise yeast, a pinch of sea salt and some extra virgin olive oil, we transformed our Organic Vanilla Cake Mix into a simple, delicious sweet roll. The perfect sidekick to any holiday feast, this recipe for fluffy, cake mix bread is definitely one of our favorites.
Ready to take all those leftover sandwiches to the next level? Let’s bake!
- 5 cups cups flour
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 2.5 cups warm water
- 1 box Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt (to taste)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together cake mix, flour, yeast and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in water and mix on low with your paddle attachment or dough hook until dough starts to form a ball. Continue mixing for one minute.
- Grab another large bowl and grease with oil. Drop ball of dough into bowl and cover with a warm, damp towel before placing bowl in a warm area to proof. Dough should double in size after about an hour, when it does – punch it down, split dough in half (in two separate bowls) and cover again for another 45 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a cool, lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut each ball of dough into 8-10 equal pieces. Place rolls on a baking sheet and cover with a warm, damp towel until they increase in size by about 50%.
- Brush rolls with a light coating of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Flour is your best friend when baking with yeast dough, keep a small bowl handy for pinches as needed.
- Tossing your proofing towel in the microwave for 1 minute or dunking it in super hot water (and ringing it out) will help if your dough isn’t proofing fast enough. Repeat as needed throughout the proofing process to keep things warm.